Monday, April 26, 2010

Wesley's IV Class


Wesley's IV Class

Wesley got Nationally Certified in Phlebotomy last October and wanted to get more training so he took an IV class this month. He hopes to find a job soon doing both or either one. He really enjoys it and has become pretty good at it.


Like his Phlebotomy class they had a "Friends and Family" night to practice. We had quite a few people come help.
I kind of bled a little when Wesley was putting the I.V. tubes in place.



Wesley practicing on me. The instructor had us stop and pose for this picture


The IV catheter pinched in my arm. Wesley has it pinched so it doesn't bleed everywhere.



The inside of the arm is pretty painful!



Megan didn't want to watch so she's concentrating on something else.


Megan's arm with a syringe of fluid



The Howells came to help, Chad let Wesley practice too.
Aubrey, Jennidee, Chad and Wesley

He got a whole bag of fluids.
Jennidee wanted some bandages like her Dad so we wrapped her arms up, She was very happy about it.


Kris getting a full I.V. bag, you can't see it, but he drained the entire bag in about 15 minutes, he must have been pretty dehydrated.


This is Scott's arm. There is blood everywhere because while Wesley was was placing the catheter the needle filled up with blood so fast the back of it fell off (The little plastic piece next to his arm). Blood was just pumping straight out until Wesley could get it pinched off.

More pictures of the bloody mess on Scott.
Don't worry we cleaned up the mess after pictures.

Scott also got a full bag of fluids (Which when you get at a hospital your insurance is usually charged about $285 per bag!).

Thank you to everyone who came to help out!!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Dang I think I need to eat or something I feel a little queezy after that post

Laura Blue said...

i'm sorry, but that didn't look fun at all! I don't mind getting them when I have to, but I don't think i could just go do it. sorry we didn't go help out. laura, i was thinking the same thing. lol

Jessica said...

What good sports you all are. When I was in nursing school, the only volunteer I had to practice IV's on was my dad! Looks like Wesley got lots of good practice!